Monday, April 11, 2011

The First Memory.

I have this memory from when I was two years and two months old. I was in the hospital visiting my baby brother for the very first time. My Pops and Grammy brought me and they had let me get a balloon from the hospital gift shop for Mikey. I chose purple and it had letters on it I think, but I don't remember what it said. My Mom was lying in the hospital bed with my brother and Pops and Grammy were standing by the door. Grammy was wearing a black skirt, but that doesn't say much because that is what she wears in all my memories of her. Dad was holding me and I was holding the balloon. The thing is that I let the balloon go out the window but I didn't cry. It must have been too happy of a day for crying.

That memory is so vivid in my mind that I call it my first memory, but the thing is I don't even know if I remember it. So many people have told me that story that I think I remember it, but when I really really think about it I don't really know. The truth is that I have another memory, which is really my first memory but it is so vague that I have discounted it. Right before Mikey was born, Dad took me on a bike ride to Island Beach. 21 years later I took my wedding pictures there. It is one of those places where I remember growing up and I am sure that it will make other appearances in future blog posts. Anyway, all I remember is sitting in a bike sit on the back with a helmet on. I remember Mom standing next to me before we left, she was very pregnant and I was wearing sandals. When we got to the beach Dad parked his bike by the water fountain. I don't know if that is still there though. And that is all.

As much as I want to believe in the memory purple balloon and my baby brother I don't know if I can. I wonder what other things I know to be true simply because other people have told me so. I hope I don't discount the things that I know simply because it doesn't seem worth believing in or because the memory seems too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment